The TalkTenpin Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: BTBA / Recovery Group / Press Releases (LATEST 14th AUG)
Dominic Gall
Administrator

Mood: light

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 18:35

Haha Bish, great minds think alike, that idea is almost word for word one i thought of too, deffo a pro celebrity thing like in the 80's could make a comeback if done right and not filled with ex big brother z listers.

even if it was a one off retro bowling night at bloomsbury and done for charity would be a start

Dominic Gall
Creator & Content Editor
http://talktenpin.net
http://talktenpinforums.net
Sarah Hood

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 16:20

Quote: Originally posted by Dominic Gall  

The problem lies with education and media, The country needs educating in the sports benefits and the BTBA need to form ties with media to get results noticed.

Do the BTBA seek media attention when we win anything is a question i would want answering.

I totally agree with this and really think the BTBA need to consider some sort of press officer to build these relationships. There is great work going on on various internet areas promoting bowling and leagues and scores - but only to those who are already in the know!

The BTBA should be responsible for our professional image and this needs someone with press experience to handle it!

For example - Jo Cundy's press release re all the success we've had so far this year - That should be prime material on a national level if not locally where there bowlers are from!

Higher Education slave, Ten Pin Bowler, Guinea Pig Owner!

@shood300
Sarah Hood

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 16:42

Quote: Originally posted by Stuart Watson  

The survey exists on my network in its entirety, and the decision to publish the reduced version was taken initially to give indication that the BTBA and RG/Committee's were actively considering the returns. The decision to publish the shortened version or the full version was left to me and I opted for the short version thanks to a number of idiots that ruined their returns as well as the need to get something published quickly.

It is my guess now that it is far past its sell-by date to publish in full, it will serve simply as ammunition to fire at the work being done, or to feed the ego of someone that wanted 15 minutes of fame in the public domain.

The committee's have access to the full results to help with their work so it has not been wasted just because it was not published in full. It is a tool in the committee's workshop.

I disagree, personally seeing how the short results has shown overwhemingly that the BTBA is considered to be secrative and uninclusive, I think not publishing the full comments only backs up that view - as if they have something to hide.

While I agree that the less than helpful comments shouldnt see the light of day - In my opinion the survey should have formed the basis for a discussion between the BTBA and its members - not just a few unelected individuals.

I would love to see some of the ideas and suggestions other bowlers have come up with - like those starting to appear in the TT forums.

But also I would to know the BTBAs stance on all the ideas put forward. Which do they think are good, which do they not agree with and why.

Just publishing the short results isn't enough - what were their thoughts on the results and what are they doing to combat those.

I agree with the other posters that no communication is worse than a short line to say we're still working on it and appreciate your input and will get back to you in due course.

It's up to them to get bowlers back on board and they need to show that peoples opinions, and experience, are valued!!

@shood300
Dominic Gall
Administrator

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 17:56

It is a shame some people put stupid answers to the survey but those answers should be removed and the full results shown

Stu is right in regards to posting the short version first as news needed to be seen, I do however think the full version needs to see the light of day, If only to show those that took part what other good ideas were found.

While it is great we have committees and people looking at the BTBA set up, at the end of the day it is the members and potential members that run the show. If all elect to leave, where does that leave the association.

Now im not for one minute saying this should happen but you can understand why a lot of members have left and refuse to return, what is needed now is a line drawn over the past and future and for me that starts with us seeing what everyone else thinks is the best course of action.

You build a house but if no one wants to live in it why have it at all:info:

Dominic Gall
Creator & Content Editor
Castro

Mood: I'm AMAZING

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 20:26

To an outsider, it would seem the BTBA are covering something major up.

I still cant work out how the person ultimately responsible for this shambles is still in power, look at the Barclay's Bank scandal, the top man had to resign. Now that is a bit of outrageous comparison, but we're talking about the demise of a national past time. Just saying.

General Trouble Maker.

Deal with it.
DomB

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 10:48

They say funding for swimming is being cut... They ONLY have 300,000 members registered at 2,000 clubs. What do we have?

Swimming is seen to be a big leisure activity, where millions participate annually. Surely this sounds similar to bowling?
Apart from they already have a huge amount of Olympic funding and will always be an Olympic sport.

I think bowling seriously needs to start thinking a little out of the box... This is NOT just the BTBA, but worldwide.
The Asian countries that get a lot of funding for their bowlers, as they are included in the Asian Games. That is basically their Olympics, where they get funding on performance.

Bowling used to be (or still is, i'm not sure on the numbers) the most participated sport in Britain. There HAS to be a way that can be used positively.
Dominic Gall
Administrator

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 15:56

And a press release appears
http://btba.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article...

Dominic Gall
Creator & Content Editor
Dominic Gall
Administrator

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 16:06

speechless for the moment and pleased to see such a big release

What does everyone think, Did we learn more about what is happening or not?

Is it time to get behind the association and all pull in the same direction and give it all a chance?

Dominic Gall
Creator & Content Editor
BishopJnr

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 17:03

I really want to be upbeat and positive based on the BTBA press release . . . . . . . . .

The problem is, the underlying message is "Well, we are going to make changes, we cant tell you what they will be, when they will be, and at the moment, all your money is basically being used the same was as it has been, but give us another years worth of money and we PROMISE things will have changed by next year".

It still feels like handing money over for nothing for another year. Of course I will still do so, and hope that unlike every other year when change has been discussed and nothing happened, this will be the year when we step out of the slump and move forward.
Castro

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 18:03

I want to see the accounts for the last 20 years (Is this possible, are they covering up something major), how could they have wasted so much money. I'm afraid the future is not bright for bowling, regardless of how anyone tries to talk it up.

Get those responsible OUT.

General Trouble Maker.

Deal with it.
Stuart Watson
Super Administrator

Mood: Take THAT you bottle-bitch .. !!

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 19:21

Disappointing release for me - I wanted to know what projects the committee were working on, what the status of those projects are and when we can expect to see some deliverables. Following on from that, dates in the future that we would expect updates and news. BishopJnr sums it up.

Additionally, a "road map" for the next 3 years outlining how stability is forecast to be acheived as well as the start of a network of registered volunteers with specific purpose such as reporting results from sanctioned events in their local centre and bringing specific expertise as a small numer of committee members in today's busy crazy lifestyles does not permit for rapid development and progress - many hands make light work and can permit many threads to be worked parallel in time.

In particular I hoped for some form of guidelines on the future of the website which is a cornerstone of the BTBA's future. Without knowing what they want to do specifically it is not possible to lay foundations or bring small changes over time. I have not introduced any new features (online tournament entry, payments, sanction application etc) as without knowing the future I did not want to waste time doing things that might be taken down and replaced once the website's future is decided. I may not be the media/web guy in the future plans.

Would be interested to know why I was not included on the RG/Membership Services committee in the first place as I am the current media bod - I'm not bitter about it I just don't understand.

Stuart Watson
Owner and Editor
http://talktenpin.net and http://talktenpinforums.net

Twitter/Instagram: @StuartWatson300 - @TalkTenpin

Member of the BTBA National Council, Finance & Business, Head of IT Services.
mark_heathorn

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 19:48

I think it is merely (unfortunately) just another "appeal" for membership unashamedly jumping on the Olympics bandwagon!
I have no doubt that intention is rife amongst the recover group (as was) but there is still no context, content or inkling of a proper plan.
As Dom B suggests there is another way of doing it. Maybe someone is actually developing a plan which might threaten the current boundaries of thinking?!!
Helen Tamblyn

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 20:04

Quote: Originally posted by Castro  

I want to see the accounts for the last 20 years (Is this possible, are they covering up something major), how could they have wasted so much money. I'm afraid the future is not bright for bowling, regardless of how anyone tries to talk it up.

Get those responsible OUT.

Wilson, I believe as a paying BTBA member, you would be entitled to see an annual overview of accounts. Perhaps a legal eagle could set me straight on that?

As an aside, should there not be an accessible constitution?

Dominic Gall
Administrator

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 22:26

Going to be interesting to see how many more members join the BTBA this season. 25 seems a bit steep to encourage new members. 40 for a gold card, is it made of gold or something:lol:

If it was Sky or BT, new people would get an introductory or welcome back price, What do our association do, make it more than a sanctioned league. Yes it rewards sanctioned league players but i thought the problem was people leaving and lower membership.

Having said all that I DO believe there is some good people in the committees and national council and they are trying their best to bring change, I just get the feeling though walls might appear in their way for whatever reason or we would have seen something more proactive by now.

Dominic Gall
Creator & Content Editor
BishopJnr

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 23:17

how many current BTBA members are there? Does anyone have an accurate number at all?
Sarah Hood

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 23:17

I agree with everyone else - there's not much being said except the one thing they said they didnt want to do - is being done ie selling HQ.

It's all just shrouded up in a positive feel good Olympic spin!

As Stu said where's the plans, where's the feedback??

Nice to see some names to the National Council but what about the committees - I haven't seen any names for them. It would be nice to know people's backgrounds too as to why they are in the role they are!

@shood300
Sarah Hood

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 23:18

On a side note - what is the point of the Gold cards? I tried asking HQ but didnt get a sensible answer - I just cant understand why anyone would pay the 40 rate if they don't get anything above the normal membership?

@shood300
BishopJnr

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 23:41

Just a quick and possibly controversial query here - Is there enough work to warrant full time staff and premises for the BTBA? I'm not attempting to dismiss anyones work, but I'm curious as to how much of the money raised through membership is paid out in wages and office costs.
Stuart Watson
Super Administrator

Mood: Take THAT you bottle-bitch .. !!

[*] posted on 15-8-2012 at 00:02

Sarah - the committee members were published on the BTBA website in March 2012: http://btba.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article...

They were updated on 30th July 2012: http://btba.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article...

A Gold Card is our Associations International Card and shows that you are a bona-fide member of the British Association when you are competing abroad. It renews annually. If you have a Gold Card you do not need any other membership for the holder.

Stuart Watson
Owner and Editor
http://talktenpin.net and http://talktenpinforums.net

Twitter/Instagram: @StuartWatson300 - @TalkTenpin

Member of the BTBA National Council, Finance & Business, Head of IT Services.
Castro

[*] posted on 15-8-2012 at 05:58

Quote: Originally posted by BishopJnr  
Just a quick and possibly controversial query here - Is there enough work to warrant full time staff and premises for the BTBA? I'm not attempting to dismiss anyones work, but I'm curious as to how much of the money raised through membership is paid out in wages and office costs.

And paid out for expenses. I have still to receive an email back from the BTBA, no wait, I've emailed them twice, asking for responses and have got none, that is just rude.

General Trouble Maker.

Deal with it.
Castro

[*] posted on 15-8-2012 at 06:00

Dom,

Will these new people be allowed to do anything, or impact new ideas on the regime that has run the BTBA into the ground.

Most unlikely.

General Trouble Maker.

Deal with it.
jasonodell

[*] posted on 15-8-2012 at 08:48

The only thing I can actually see in the statement is a Centre of Excellence, and not too sure what to make of it. It's a good idea in hindsight, but if they can negotiate "lanes to provide training and coaching facilities" in one centre, why can't they do for every centre that's interested in participating, and therefore, getting something in return for actually paying 20+ a year?
Castro

[*] posted on 15-8-2012 at 09:00

Quote: Originally posted by BishopJnr  
how many current BTBA members are there? Does anyone have an accurate number at all?

Less than 5000 apparently, soon to be less. Maybe we need them to go bang, so we can start again. Just saying.

General Trouble Maker.

Deal with it.
Castro

[*] posted on 15-8-2012 at 09:09

Who is actually happy that the people who are resposnable for this mess, are still in power, and show no signs of walking away.

Stinks of a cover up.

General Trouble Maker.

Deal with it.
Dominic Gall
Administrator

[*] posted on 15-8-2012 at 09:55

The centre of excellence idea is great in principle but could end up being enjoyed by a minority and not the majority who would be funding it.

The only way I could see it working is if an existing centre was purchased or used and the evening open play went towards the costs which would also need to be subsidized by lottery funding, sport england and government help.

Imagine what the costs would be to run such a thing once you have either bought or rented lanes, added staff, coaches and teachers wages, operational costs like electrity etc, bought training aids like supercats. It would be a cash cow that would take some feeding. It would need to be supported and sponsored by many divisions of the game and business.

For me to make it work, the whole idea and project needs to be based around using it as a university that gives a degree in various aspects of the sport from physical to technical while at the same time having the proprietors association involved and using it also as a place where companies can send their staff for training in management, mechanical and other areas so a nationally recognized pass can be used.

As well as full time students, part time and day only courses could be offered for people who need to work courses around their day jobs and it would need to utilize the internet to have open courses for written work added to a visit to the centre for the practical.

But I would like to add, while I would love to see such a thing and see it working surely the main thing the BTBA need to concentrate on first is lost members and not loosing any more.

As bishop Jnr and Castro have asked, Dont the members need to see the books and find out what everything is costing from wages to trips abroad and past years when times were good, where did money go.

Whatever happened in the past good or bad, it is now that matters and I was under the impression "To know where you are going you need to know where you have been"

With so many people leaving the association in the last few years they must have their reasons.

Dominic Gall
Creator & Content Editor
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top