The TalkTenpin Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The future?? - The Heathorn Plan
mark_heathorn

[*] posted on 18-2-2013 at 17:45
The future?? - The Heathorn Plan

I have been concerned about the future of our sport for many years. Recently I have put some of my ideas to paper and created the attached document. Please note that it includes the major elements and I have many other ideas that do not need to be in this document.

I had thought I would not share publicly and randomly in order to have some control on who has access to and (potentially) uses and/or implements them.

I worry that the wrong people might attempt to implement mine or other suitable ideas but not have the ability of professionalism to do so or the correct understanding and as such "mess it up".

HOWEVER.....I have had a change of mindset.

What is needed is for bowlers in our country to have their eyes and minds opened to the possibilities (some will argue that some are unrealistic or "will never happen") but the problem we have had is a very conservative, stubborn and short-sighted industry and governing body which has had periods of boom and bust but just seem to accept this trend.

It is time to put into place a modern, forward-thinking, robust and flexible blueprint for the future sustainability of the sport we all love. I'm not for one second saying I have all the answers but if my ideas and plan begin the process then that's good enough for me. If we achieve or surpass my vision then even better.

Just as important as the strategy and plan is having the right people in place. Hopefully those who have held back our sport will "see the light" and help the process of change. This would be their legacy.

I would welcome comments....remember it's easy to be negative and dismissive (this has been the case far too often in the past)..it's time for people to think bigger, look higher and act differently!!

Attachment: The Future of Tenpin Bowling for England_V_1.1PDF.pdf (1.2MB)
This file has been downloaded 150 times
andyj
Administrator

[*] posted on 18-2-2013 at 18:39

Hi Mark,

well done on a very comprehensive and interesting document / vision.

I need to read through it again properly as I've only skim read it so far, but one the whole it looks very good.

The only negative (sorry) is that I don't know how you will convince the proprietors to gamble their business by paying what they will likely see as an additional tax to pay people to market their business, but that are out of their management structure. I didn't notice any proprietor representation within your structure, and I feel sure that IF proprietors bought into it, they would want to be a part of it too.

Just a thought, and really mean that as a thought rather than being a nay sayer!

Cheers
Andy
Dominic Gall
Administrator

Mood: light

[*] posted on 18-2-2013 at 20:15
Well done Mark Heathorn

I was lucky enough to see this plan some time ago (Thanks Mark), I was very impressed by the thought and effort that went into the proposed plan.

I hope now Mark has had a change of heart and released this plan, it is read by members of the BTBA's National council, recovery groups and the proprietors and they are able to consult with Mark on taking some or all of the ideas forward.

Last year looked like things were finally being done to address the problems with our sport in the UK then silence. Head office was sold and they moved but very little has come to light after such a promising start and the releases Matt Miller senior gave.

Back to the Heathorn plan as I like to call it, I need to re read, I'm just a simple lad from the North so a lot of it was way over my head but it just goes to show how clever some bowling fans are and they need to be listened to.

Dominic Gall
Creator & Content Editor
http://talktenpin.net
http://talktenpinforums.net
Cundy

[*] posted on 18-2-2013 at 21:59

Hi Mark,

I too have only managed a quick skim read, very comprehensive though!! You have obviously put a lot of man hours into this.
So where do you want this to go now?
I can table it at my next committe meeting?
Have you considered sending this to a national council member so it can be tabled at a council meeting??
ChrisT

[*] posted on 18-2-2013 at 22:00

Again, i have only skimmed it. Some excellent ideas. Some questionable ideas too. However, it really is very positive that someone is trying to do something! Even if you are not successful in achieving your aims Mark, i really wish you the best of luck. If i can help in any way, i would love to.
When i have read your report properly, i will post again.
colin.laing

[*] posted on 18-2-2013 at 22:01

It's caught my attention - I've just downloaded it, and will have a good look through!

Anyone that has taken this amount of time to put something together deserves to be listened to, and I hope that like Dom says, this gets seen by the people it needs to..

With Mark's permission, I'm happy to email this round the other members of the Membership Services committee for their feedback...?

BTBA Membership Services Subcommittee Chairman
Midland Scratch Secretary
Staffordshire & Shropshire Adult County Secretary
Saddo Bowler with little or no life outside the sport...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The views presented here are my own, and not necessarily that of the organisations to which I belong!
rong

thumbup.gif posted on 19-2-2013 at 08:14
The Future

Many thanks for sharing this.

It never hurts to have alternative views. Some of the ideas that are included in your blueprint are already being considered but some others are quite radical and very interesting indeed. I am sure this will get people talking, thinking and maybe even changing.

There is a National Council meeting this weekend. I will make sure everyone gets the chance to read your report.

Thanks again for taking the time to think all this through, write it all down and, most of all, for giving us the chance to read it.

Ron Griffin
Vice Chairman, B.T.B.A.
Chairman, Dorset County T.B.A

Castro

Mood: I'm AMAZING

[*] posted on 19-2-2013 at 10:10

Ron,

Without meaning to hijack this post (Sorry Mark), can you give us all a time scale for when the BTBA will be letting the members know what plans they have for going forward, as at the moment, communication is once again slow.

General Trouble Maker.

Deal with it.
wacky

[*] posted on 19-2-2013 at 10:38

well done Mark, very refreshing to see these idea's.
my initial reaction after having read it was the same as Andy's - a lot rests on the 'tax' that the proprietors would have to pay to finance the idea. 5p per game doesn't sound much but when they come to write the cheque out I am sure they will be thinking twice about the benefits of their inclusion.
really appreciate the time and effort you have put in to this.
those salary's will be sure to attract the cream of the crop too !
Helen Tamblyn

[*] posted on 19-2-2013 at 19:18

Have downloaded and started to read. Have only skimmed so far but going to go back and read properly. To echo the above, if someone has put in so much effort for the love of the sport, they deserve and should be listened to.

helsbels.org.uk
poshbowler

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 19:17

Can a link be posted on Facebook?
Nich

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 22:00

Great to see that someone has at last spent time to come up with ways to save our sport. I like many of the ideas being suggested.

However I really do not know how you can 'force' a league to sign up to any such body. The leagues I have run have no wish to pay to join any organisation, they would only ever want to have a handicap system, bowling with friends in other teams and having a fun night out.

The only other comment I would make is that no-one involved with running the BTBA should be allowed to take up a post with any new organisation! The deafening silence from the BTBA since it's survey last year is a disgrace.
lisa.john

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 23:05

A bowler in my team tonight spoke to me about this report tonight and told me to have a look.

I haven't had a chance to read any of it properly yet but have downloaded it to read on the plane to New Zealand (I was looking for things to do on the flight).

Thank you Mark. Firstly for taking the time to produce such a comprehensive document but also for caring so much about the future of our sport and allowing others to be a part of your ideas.

I look forward to reading your ideas and hope that others will also take the time to do the same.

Lisa
Dominic Gall
Administrator

[*] posted on 21-2-2013 at 21:02

Heathorn plan downloaded over 100 times:smilegrin:

Dominic Gall
Creator & Content Editor
TrentTenpin

[*] posted on 22-2-2013 at 11:47

Mark;

Very comprehensive and well written. One thing I would like to add is provision for a student bowling tour to build on the present tour run by the British Universities Tenpin Bowling Association (BUTBA). In my experience, University bowling teams and the tour itself have proven to be invaluable tools for bringing new bowlers to the scene.

In a broader sense, I do fear that persuading proprietors to restrict lineage to a maximum amount for any given reason would be almost impossible to achieve. Given current lineage rates, attitudes and the dominance of one or two large chains (i.e Garland Leisure, Tenpin, Bowlplex etc), do you honestly feel they are likely to change anything? As much as I wish it could happen, the majority of centre managers and owners I have met do not give me the impression they really care about sport bowling in the first place and have been nigh on impossible to persuade otherwise!!!

(These views do not represent those of Trent Tenpin or Nottingham Trent University)
Dominic Gall
Administrator

[*] posted on 22-2-2013 at 13:01

I have sent the Heathorn plan to John Ashbridge who is the secretary for the Tenpin Bowling Propietors association for his viewing and thoughts. Hopefully he may then take this plan to their members for discussion.

Dominic Gall
Creator & Content Editor
-Alex-

[*] posted on 28-2-2013 at 13:36

One question:

Has anything similar to this been implemented in any other country, or in any other sport or community which is in a similar situation to tenpin bowling in England?

I'd have more faith in the proposal if it's based on something which has been done before.
Castro

Mood: I'm AMAZING

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 08:52

Let's be honest now, most counties don't need this sort of plan, as they have decent governing bodies, and often have decent sponsorship too.

We're just unfortunate to be run by a bunch of .............

General Trouble Maker.

Deal with it.

Go To Top